Thursday, February 3, 2011

quilt in progress.

After organizing my fabric, I was inspired to make a quilt with the fabric I have accumulated over time.  This was actually pretty challenging.  I only had limited resources, and I was determined to not purchase any new fabric for this project.  I used a pattern from the latest Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting magazine.

In order to break up some of the business of the patterns, I used Kona White in some of the pieces.

This one really turned into a bit of a puzzle.  Using only what I had on hand, not repeating patterns too much, and dealing with situations in which I didn't have as much of a particular pattern as I would have liked.

It was really helpful to use my makeshift piecing wall to lay everything out as I decided on placement.

Oh, yes - it's ugly bright orange felt left over from the little one's Halloween carrot costume.  It works just fine.  One of these days I'll get around to constructing a proper felt wall for quilting. ;)

Here is what has been properly sewn thus far.
It looks much better without the orange backdrop, huh?  I'm happy so far.  And this particular color scheme will go nicely in our master bedroom.  It will be a small quilt, and I'll probably have to purchase some fabric for the sashing, binding, and backside, but overall I did tear into my stash quite a bit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment