Monday, December 27, 2010

my achilles heel.

One of the commitments I made to myself was to get the one thing I hate about myself fixed. 

My teeth.

I have been cursed with bad teeth.  Due to faulty genetics, I have very little enamel on my teeth and they are extremely prone to decay.  I am completely OCD about taking care of them, but it doesn't ever seem to make a difference. 

This has translated, as I'm sure is no surprise, to a huge dentist phobia.

The last dentist we went to was not the nicest person.  I felt very judged and was extremely self conscious about my mouth.  I remember, she even asked me if I ever brushed my teeth.  Yikes.

I haven't been in 3 years.  For my husband this wouldn't be an issue.  For me - catastrophic.  I currently have 2 teeth that have broken beyond repair, and 2 other molars that need to have a major overhaul performed on them.  Not to mention the other teeth...

So, when I brought the boys to the dentist this past week (a new one) I asked to schedule an appointment to have my broken teeth looked at.  Lucky me, they had an opening right then and I was able to get over it.  Dr. B. was amazing.  He was sympathetic to my embarassment and was so reassuring and supportive.  I had all my x-rays done and will return in January for the first apppointment toward my new choppers. 

I know it's hard to believe, but this is such a huge step for me.  Last year at this time I never would have even thought of doing this. 

I feel so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment