Friday, December 24, 2010

the plan.

To tackle the dietary aspect of this ME makeover, I've decided to following the Whole Living Action Plan: 28 Day Challenge.  This is a 4 week detox dietary and exercise plan that really makes sense to me.  I've never done a detox before, and I'm a bit skeptical of my own willpower, but I'm hoping that I can pull through.  Really, the first week is going to be the hardest, as the following things are BIG no-nos on this plan:
  • Added Sugar.  This one is not too bad.  I really don't have a huge sweet-tooth and much prefer salty foods to sugary ones anyway.
  • Processed Foods or Beverages.  Hmmm...this gets a bit more complicated.  Say bye-bye to my Coke Zero and potato chips.  I've been wanting to do this for a long time, though, so it's worth it.
  • Alcohol.  Sad, but doable.  I do love wine, though.
  • Caffeine.  Yikes....this is probably going to be the most difficult on this list. 
  • Wheat/gluten.  Not sure how this one is going to go.  I love my carbs, and bread is one of my favorite things...but it's added back in Week 2, so I think I can stick it out.
  • Eggs.  Not a big fan, anyway.
  • Dairy.  Milk - not a problem.  I will miss cheese and yogurt, but they are brought back during Week 2.
  • Peanut Products.  Doable.
  • Fruit Juices.  Not a major part of my current diet, anyway.  Doable.
  • Soy.  This one is more difficult, as I'm a vegetarian and normally consume large amounts of soy.  I will have to focus more on beans and fish this week.  This one is also reintroduced in Week 2.
  • Corn.  I do like corn, but can certainly live without it.
Alright, so the tough areas apparently are processed food, caffeine, and soy.  Processed food is going to be difficult, but I know I can abstain.  Soy is hard, too, but as long as I include a good protein source I'll be okay.  Really, it seems like caffeine is the most difficult one.  I really need to focus on cutting back this coming week to prepare myself.  Of course, it doesn't help that I will be returning to work the first week of detox, huh?  Note to self: stock up on tea.  Yikes.

No comments:

Post a Comment